Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Cultural Lens

The "typical" Arkansan vacation seems to be taking a trip to the beach or going skiing. I know many people that when ever they get a vacation that is all they ever do... go to the beach or go skiing. Growing up my parents loved to travel around the United States. I was fortunate to get to travel to different areas of the country and learn about our history and view different landmarks. It is sad to think that people wouldn't want to travel around the country let alone the world if they are given the opportunity. If I had the opportunity I would have traveled all over the world by now. Unfortunately, traveling around the world uses up a lot of time and requires a lot of money. I have been out of the country once before, but I am so excited to get the experience to travel more. If I had the choice I would love to be traveling to different counties and doing mission work with children. It's hard for me to picture people not wanting to expand their cultural knowledge to travel and learn about different places. I wish everyone had the money and opportunity to at least travel somewhere different just to see what it is like. I feel like I am going to be addicted to traveling and learning about new cultures and environments. The articles we had to read were very interesting! I think that too many Americans don't travel around because we do have a lot to offer here, but I also think that there is a lot to offer in other countries that we do not have. Yes, there are defiantly some places in the world that are not safe to travel to, but there are LOTS of places that are very safe! There are places in the US that aren't very safe that I would't want to visit. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and respect the culture why you are visiting. I have said this in another post, but I noticed that the first article mentioned it: "Treat others how you would want to be treated." I try and think about this statement for every situation I am in. Whether I am in a different country or I am in a different city, it does not matter. You should always treat other people and places how you want to be treated.

The closer and closer it gets to summer, the more excited I get about this trip!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Abby, I really enjoyed reading your blog. Its great how you like to do mission work and want to travel to different countries and help children. That is also something that i enjoy doing to! I just haven't go the chance to go outside the country for it yet. I also really like your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your entry. If I could afford to travel all the time I totally would! I absolutely love meeting new people and seeing different places. That is great that you were able to travel all over the country as a kid. My parents would save up for a summer vacation every other year, we mostly stayed in the south eastern corner of the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If all I could do was make enough money to pay my bills and travel at least once a month, I would be the happiest girl in the world. I think traveling teaches you so much about yourself. I admire your passion for helping children. I have a soft spot for them, also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that I am going to become addicted to traveling as well after this trip. I guess if we had an addiction that would be a good one to have!

    ReplyDelete